An internet connection is required to install and use the add-in. Please see below for system and software requirements
Readapt can be used on most recent releases of MacOS and Microsoft Office.
Microsoft Office Online
Microsoft Office Online (offered free of charge from Microsoft) can be used with Readapt.
Microsoft Windows & Microsoft Office
Readapt can be used with certain combinations of Windows and Microsoft Office. Because Microsoft Office add-ins use an embedded browser control, the browser installed on your version of Windows can also determine if you can use Readapt. We strongly recommend installing the latest version of Microsoft Edge (free from Microsoft) for the best Readapt experience if you use Microsoft Windows. See below for a summary of what’s compatible. Unfortunately, versions of Microsoft Windows and Office not mentioned below are not compatible with Readapt.
| ||Microsoft 365|
ver. >= 16.0.13530.20424
ver. >= 16.0.11629 AND < 16.0.13530.204242
|non-subscription Office 2021 or later |
|Windows 8.1||Edge WebView2 must be installed||Incompatible||Incompatible|
|Windows 10 before version 1903||Incompatible||Incompatible||Edge WebView2 must be installed|
Windows 10 version 1903 and after
|Readapt will work but Edge WebView2 installation recommended||Readapt will work but Edge WebView2 installation recommended||Edge WebView2 must be installed|
Installing and launching the Add-in
1. Open Microsoft Word and click on the Insert tab, then Get Add-ins
2. A window will appear for your to search for the Add-in. Type « readapt » in the search bar and click on the magnifying glass. Then click Add
3. Agree to the terms and conditions
4. The add-in should then be installed and accessible from the Home tab. Note that you can change the language of the add-in
Setting up your Profile
1. From the main menu, click on See/Modify current profile. This will open the profile.
2. In General settings, configure your profile’s font, spacing, and other techniques that can help with your reading.
3. In Phoneme settings, select the phonemes you would like help with when reading.
4. In Letter settings, configure the letters you would like help with when reading.
Adapting and reading your document
1. From the main menu, click on Adapt document! This will open a new window with the text adapted. You can activate reading tools such as a reading ruler or screen mask. For more options, click on the Quick Activate menu.
2. The Quick Activate menu has some options that you can activate and deactivate instantly without changing your profile. These are temporary changes for this reading window only. To make permanent changes, please modify your profile.